All orders include the entire presentation with handouts and a CE test.
Streaming videos and audio downloads will be available immediately after checkout
Mailed CD and DVD formats include the printed handouts and CE test in an attractive portfolio
Dr. Paul Foxman will demonstrate how you can connect with anxious children and teach them new self-regulation skills. You will learn how to help parents and schools help their most anxious kids. Dr. Foxman will address each of the following disorders with case examples and clinical vignettes to increase clinicians’ effectiveness:
- Separation Anxiety Disorder
- Panic Disorder
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorders (including skin picking and hair pulling)
- Social Anxiety Disorder/Selective Mutism
- Specific phobias
- Trauma- and Stressor-related Disorders
Emphasis will be on creative psychotherapy involving insight- oriented, cognitive-behavioral, biological, mindfulness, and family systems interventions.
Participants will be able to describe:
- How to incorporate motivational therapeutic activities to improve client engagement in treatment.
- Structured clinical interviewing strategies to aid in developing comprehensive treatment plans.
- The “3 ingredient framework” of how anxiety develops in children to assist with assessment and treatment planning.
- A three-step skill building model for stress management among young clients.
- Exposure therapy interventions for effective treatment of OCD, separation anxiety, social anxiety and phobias.
- Calming techniques to reduce overall anxiety, such as mindfulness and yoga, to reduce fight or flight response and simultaneously engage the relaxation response.
- Specific anxiety techniques to minimize the ruminative nature of obsessive thoughts that often precede dysfunctional compulsive behaviors.
- How to create new neuropathways to reduce anxiety and decrease maladaptive behaviors.
- Clinical strategies to decrease symptoms of pervasive separation anxiety in children and their parents.
Three Ingredients Framework
- Peter Pan story and psychotherapy with kids and teens
- Anxiety prevalence data
- Treatment implications
- Client-friendly therapy language
- Behavioral health recommendations
- Video demonstrations: 10-year-old boy
- Self-regulation skills (relaxation response, breathing, office-friendly movement, yoga, mindfulness, flow activities)
- 3-Step skill building approach to stress management
Separation Anxiety Disorder
- Normal vs. abnormal anxiety
- Visualization and in-vivo exposure protocols
- Helicopters, bulldozers and snowplows: helping parents let go
Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Why we worry and what to do instead
- 10 strategies for replacing worry with positive alternatives
- Case Video: 10-year-old girl
- Panic is not an “attack”
- Sensitization, avoidance and agoraphobia
- Floating Technique
- LifeSkills self-help program
- Case: 13-year-old boy who stopped skiing
- Self-Esteem strategies
- Group therapy activities
- Selective mutism
- Other phobias
- Compulsions as defense mechanisms for unwanted obsessions
- ERP (Exposure and Response Prevention)
- Trichotillomania (hair pulling)
- Excoriation (skin picking)
- Types of trauma
- Acute stress disorder/crisis intervention
- PTSD treatment goals
- Traditional and new treatment strategies