Most human beings, including the vast majority of mental health professionals, struggle with at least one of the common forms of social anxiety, including:
- Public Speaking Anxiety
- Test Anxiety
- Performance Anxiety
- Shy Bladder / Bowel Syndrome
I’ve had them all, and more! That’s why I LOVE treating social anxiety. Whatever the patient has, I can say, “I know from personal experience how awful that is. And what a joy it’s going to be to show you how to defeat your fears!”
In this workshop, I will illustrate many powerful techniques to heal your social anxiety patients (and yourself). You’ll learn how to:
- Diagnose social anxiety quickly and accurately
- Assess session-by-session progress and track therapeutic empathy
- Develop world class empathy skills and how to find out how your patients see you!
- Reduce patient resistance to Interpersonal Exposure Techniques with Dangling the Carrot, the Gentle Ultimatum, and Sitting with Open Hands.
- Identify the distorted thoughts that trigger social anxiety.
- Smash those thoughts with powerful cognitive therapy techniques like the Downward Arrow, the What-If Technique, the Double Standard, the Cost-Benefit Analysis, the Externalization of Voices, Reattribution, the Hidden Emotion Technique, and more.
- Pinpoint and modify the Self-Defeating Beliefs that trigger social anxiety, such as
- The Spotlight Fallacy
- The Brushfire Fallacy
- The Approval Addiction
- The Love Addiction
- You will also learn how to use mind-blowing Interpersonal Exposure Techniques such as
- Smile and Hello Practice
- Talk Show Host
- Flirting Training
- Rejection Practice
- Survey Technique
- Shame-Attacking Exercises
- Feared Fantasy
- And much more